Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What's In The Local News Today - Sentuhan Bayu Reads

Ex-MAS chairman in out-of-court settlement with Malaysian Insider

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Malaysia Airlines executive chairman Tan Sri Tajudin Ramli confirmed on Wednesday to record settlement with The Malaysian Insider in his defamation suit against the online news portal.
The terms of settlement will be recorded on Friday before the High Court judge Justice Harmindar Singh Dhaliwal.

Tajudin had named the proprietor of The Malaysian Insider Sdn Bhd, The Malaysian Insider chief executive officer/editor Jahabar Sadiq and its reporter Shazwan Mustafa Kamal as defendants in the suit filed on Aug 18.
In his lawsuit, Tajudin claimed the defendants had published defamatory words about him on their website in an article titled “MACC clears A-G of graft allegations” on May 31.
The words in the article meant that MAS lost RM8bil during his tenure as its executive chairman between 1994 and 2001, he said.
In his statement of claim, Tajudin contended that the words also implied that complaints had been lodged against him for the loss and that he was dishonest in his dealings with MAS, saying the words suggested he had abused his position for his own pecuniary advantage and acted unprofessionally.
Alternatively, he said, the words also meant that he had perpetrated a fraud on MAS by making secret profits in transactions involving MAS and was guilty of improper conduct and should be subjected to investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
The defendants, he claimed, had replied in a letter dated June 20 that the words were not defamatory and that they had multiple sources to the words, of which some were in public domain.
He had earlier sought general damages of at least RM200mil and other relief deemed fit by the court.


Bersih to challenge Home Ministry's order that it was illegal

KUALA LUMPUR: The Coalition for Free and Fair Elections (Bersih 2.0) has obtained a High Court order to challenge the Home Ministry's declaration that it was an unlawful society.
High Court (Appellate and Special Powers) judge Justice Rohana Yusuf granted Bersih 2.0 Steering Committee leave to initiate a judicial review application.
She, however, dismissed the committee's application for leave to get an order prohibiting the Home Minister, Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and their officers from entering and searching any of their premises as well as seizing any property belonging to Bersih 2.0.
The judge also rejected the committee's application for leave to get an order directing the minister and/or IGP to release to the applicants all T-shirts, placards, newspapers, books, circulars, pictorial representations, periodicals, pamphlets, posters, proclamations, accounts, banners, list of members, seals and related documents bearing the logo and words of Bersih 2.0 which had been seized from them.
Justice Rohana also refused a preliminary objection raised by the Attorney General's Chambers that the applicants have no legal rights to institute the action against Government and two others.
She fixed Nov 22 to hear merits of the judicial review application.

Four injured in shopping mall blast in Subang

SUBANG JAYA: Four people were injured while more than 300 people rescued and evacuated when an explosion occurred at the lower ground floor of the Empire Gallery shopping mall in Subang which houses the food court here early Wednesday.
Firemen assessing the damage from the explosion.
Firemen from the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Department also rescued four other people who were trapped at the lower ground floor of the complex.
The injured, including a Nepali security guard and a local, who sustained cuts caused by falling shattered glass, were sent to the hospital for treatment.
In the 3.45am gas-piping explosion, the blast damaged two other floors in the complex. It also caused damages to the adjoining office block and studio apartment.
The scene at the Empire Shopping complex Wednesday morning.
Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Department station chief Mohd Khairi Daud said firemen from Subang Jaya were assisted by their colleagues from PJ and surrounding areas in evacuating the hotel guests, numbering more than 300 people.
Firemen are now checking the structure of the building to ensure its safety.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails